- 400 g halibut steak
- 10 g fermented soya beans – wash and soak in water for 20 minutes
- 100 g preserved soya beans
- 3 cloves garlic – chopped
- 2 inches ginger – chopped
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 100 ml Chinese wine
- ½ tsp dark soya sauce
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 200 ml water
- 1 red chilli – chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt/pepper/sugar to taste
Note: For this dish, fish can be steamed or pan-fried before pouring sauce over
In a frying pan, heat oil and sweat garlic and ginger until fragrant.
Add both preserved and fermented soya beans and cook for 2–3 minutes.
Add oyster sauce and then glaze with Chinese wine.
Allow to boil for a minute before adding water.
Simmer for 2–3 minutes then season to taste.
Thicken sauce with corn flour before pouring on to fish.
A Chinese-inspired dish
Recipe created for Nordic Halibut by Singapore-based Malaysian Chef Jimmy Chok.